Spring 2022 Open Call for Academic Year 2022-23
The WU Equity & Inclusion Council (WUEIC) revised the criteria for a new round of Open Call Members at Large, who will join the WUEIC as committee members and have opportunities to influence ongoing processes for policy and practice change. New members are to be selected in the spring and summer 2022 terms and begin service in fall 2022. Terms are 1 or 2 years, depending on member role at the University. See the Charter and Organizing Principles for complete membership terms.
- Nominations will be accepted until April 17, 2022.
- Applications will be accepted until May 1, 2022.
Who should apply or be nominated? Read below.
Open Call Members at Large represent WUSTL community voices that are not included in the role-based membership seats. These voices include (but are not limited to) people who:
- Hold hourly and non-management staff positions.
- Are in student positions, especially those that are focused on organizational development or change management.
- Have experience or expertise in storytelling, communications, or digital engagement strategies.
- Hold a policy-focused staff or faculty position.
- Care deeply about making the University’s procedures & resources more accessible.
A wide range of perspectives are encouraged to apply, no matter how long you’ve been with the University. New community members, those who have been with the University for a long time, and everyone in between are welcome.
The application will ask interested community members to express the following core capacities:
- Has the time to dedicate 2-10 hours a month on Council meetings and tasks.
- Can share a working definition of equity and inclusion as concepts.
- Expresses desire to be a representative of their area of the University in Council discussions and processes.
- As a representative, will focus on collaboration and capacity-building within their area of the University.
- Can articulate an issue they are concerned with and move from problem identification to proposing policy- and systems-based, solutions-oriented, ideas to address the problem.
The first Member-at-large Council participation was an open call for faculty, staff, and students in August 2020.
The 2020 Application & Review Process
For the start-up phase of the Council, the following steps were taken by Academy staff and Executive Committee members:
- Information about the Council start-up process, the Member at Large scope of work, and an application/nomination process were made available on diversity.wustl.edu. It was announced in The Record in August, and the Executive Committee was encouraged to share the information.
- The application included a series of questions as listed on the Council’s page at diversity.wustl.edu.
- 68 applications were submitted.
- The majority of Executive Committee members served a Selection Committee, using a scoring rubric based on the criteria listed on diversity.wustl.edu to evaluate applications. The name, contact information, and university role fields were hidden from the applications for the remainder of the evaluation process.
- Scores from participating reviewers were aggregated for each candidate, and applications from the top 90th percentile identified a finalist group of 20 applicants.
- The Selection Committee was asked to review all 20 finalist applications and rank their top applicants.
- The 10 Open Call Member at Large and 5 alternates were identified by averaging the rankings.
- In the event a Member at Large denies their seat at any point in the process, the alternate list will be used.
- Alternates were invited to join a working group.
- Once all the Open Call Members accepted, the full Council membership list was posted on the Council Membership page of the WUEIC website, which was announced in the Record ahead of the first (October 7, 2020) meeting.
In future years, the application/nomination and review process will be determined by the working groups.